Following encouraging results locally in the recent national and council elections, Southport Labour’s chair, Ray Roberts says that the future is bright for the town. “Labour councillors have shown in places like Formby, Maghull, Crosby and Lydiate that only Labour representatives will protect local communities from the worst of the cuts while standing up for their local areas. We pledge that if elected, Southport Labour councillors will do the same here. The negativity we hear from the Lib Dems needs to stop and we need effective representation who will get things moving. In the coming months we’ll be carrying on knocking on doors and listening to residents views.We have already pledged the following, and there’s more to come:
- Work closely with Labour controlled Sefton to deliver schemes such as King’s Gardens, the Atkinson and the market
- Protect adult social care in Southport;
- Support the development of the imminent Town Centre Strategy for Southport;
- Hold councillor surgeries in Norwood and Kew wards if elected because the existing 6 Lib Dem councillors in these areas don’t have these, they’re happy to take their allowances without being accessible via a surgery.
- Consult with local people to determine the best ways to spend the £100k of unspent funds allocated by Sefton to Southport wards
We’ve had a huge influx of members since the General Election, an increase of around 150. We’re moving forward and we want to secure what’s best for Southport.”
If you’re interested in joining the Labour Party please click here.